So what does an effective gun control plan look like?
Everyone is clamoring again for gun control to end all of this senseless violence. So let’s see what kind of plan we’d actually need to accomplish that goal.
First, we’d need to restrict guns that are used for bad things. These are commonly referred to as “military” guns or “assault” guns……Wouldn’t that keep people safer?
The problem is that there’s just no telling what a gun will be used for. “Military” guns aren’t always used in the military and “assault” guns aren’t always used in assaults. To make things more confusing, sometimes the military uses “normal people” guns and assaults are committed with such seemingly harmless objects as Ted Kennedy’s car.
So if we can’t use their media-assigned names, how are we supposed to know what kind of guns are used for bad things? Well, we can’t. Because depending on which side of the argument you agree with the answer is either….
- None of the guns do bad things, people do, so leave the guns alone!
- All of the guns do bad things, get rid of all of them!
Since those who want “more effective” gun control legislation can’t determine which guns will do bad things, the only possible answer that makes sense to them is to ban them all.
But maybe we could classify guns based how many bullets they hold…..Wouldn’t that keep people safer?
I’ll admit, at first blush this makes sense. I mean, it’s not actually guns that kill people….It’s the bullets. And if a gun doesn’t hold very many bullets, it can’t kill very many people! Less bullets = Less danger. Problem solved.
Except that restricting ammunition capacity doesn’t really equal less danger. I say this for two (apparently-not-so-obvious) reasons.
- When a bad gun runs out of bullets, somebody can just put more in it. Crazy, right? I mean, you’d like to think that people would know better than to reload a gun that had just gone crazy and shot a bunch of people. But some people do. They just keep reloading those bad guns over and over again.
- Even if you pass a law that says “guns can’t have a bunch of bullets”, there are still millions of bad guns out there that hold a bunch of bullets. And the scariest part of all is that those bad guns LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE GOOD GUNS.
If you can’t keep people from putting more bullets into bad guns that already exist and hold a bunch of bullets….The only possible answer that makes any sense is to ban them all.
In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a theme so far that these bad guns need someone’s help to do their bad things.
So maybe we should just restrict who can buy those bad guns…..Wouldn’t that keep people safer?
I think it would. If we can just keep bad people from buying all of those bad guns, we’d be safer. So let’s do that. Let’s pass a law that says bad or crazy people can’t buy guns.
Good news!!!!!! We’ve already got that law!!!!! In order to buy a gun from a gun dealer you have to pass a background check, so that should take care of everything. Except that it doesn’t. Because people who shouldn’t have guns, who want guns, will always find a way to get them. They’ll steal them from good people, they’ll lie about who they are, they’ll just walk into the home of family members and take them. All of those things have happened to let bad people get guns.
There are over 350,000,000 guns in the United States of America. (There are more guns than people.)
Completely restricting crazy or bad people from getting a gun would be like trying to restrict them from being around people, only harder. So the only possible answer that makes any sense is to ban them all.
Let that sink in for a minute.
- The ONLY way to restrict guns that can do bad things is to ban all guns.
- The ONLY way to restrict guns that can shoot a lot of bullets is to ban all guns.
- The ONLY way to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong sort of people is to ban all guns.
And since there are over 350,000,000 guns in our country, there is only one way to ban them…..And that’s to destroy them all.
So the next time someone tells you that they want “sensible” gun control, or “common sense” gun control just know that the only logical end result of that is gun confiscation and destruction. Because gun confiscation is the only way to accomplish what the Left, and all too many on the Right, are wanting.